Monday, January 14, 2008

Thinking is Over Rated


I have the worse tenancy to over think things. My brain is like this big machine whose wheels never stop turning.

Sometimes, I most likely think my way out of some great opportunities, because I think so much and so hard about it that the opportunity passes me by.

I bet I even think my way out of the spontaneity of life. I think so thoroughly regarding certain situations, and try to be a step ahead that I don't leave room for surprises or the natural course of life.

I'm the one who tries to figure everything out before everyone else. I will actually be sitting there listening to a joke while my brain is trying to figure out the punchline before the joke is over. Pathetic and a bit annoying if you ask me.

I've got to come to the realization that despite my huge brain power and the nagging urge to think too much..., my ways are not God's ways or better, He's ways are not my ways, and just when I think I've got it all figured out, things never turn out like they did in my head.

So a good friend of mine told me very recently, just let it go. Whatever you are overthinking, just let it go. There's no point in wasting your thoughts on things you don't have control over the outcome anyways. And once you let go, you are ready to get your solution, your blessing, your answer, or whatever it is that is making you (me) think so long and hard.

So, I'm attempting to do just that. As a habitual "thinker" it's way easier said than done, in fact it borderlines on the impossible. I will definitely need God's help on this one.

Thought process shut down in 3, 2, 1.........

Q.Cat

2 comments:

The Daily Bee said...

We need an "off" button for the brain. I am an overthinker on some things, but I jump right in on a lot of other things... Sounds like there should be a nice balance, but that is not the case.

I don't have much more to say since it requires too much thinking and I am at the point of being thoughtless today.

Queen Catherella said...

Tell me about it, Deb!

If you ever find the location to that switch, be sure and let me know!