Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Say Happy.... You Say Birthday!!

Deb Deb Oh Sweet Corn Deb....

Twenty-Five Years of Deb! Wow.











I wish I could say that I remember when you were born... but I don't, which is odd, because I was 8 years old, and I remember when Peter was born and I was only 6. In fact, I remember things back to when I was 3 and maybe even younger.

So I don't know if you being the new SISTER made me block out the memory of your birth or if I had more important things on my little 8 year old mind, but for whatever the reason, it's the single most important memory that I do not have, and I really wish I did.

Luckily, I remember everything right up to you being born and after you came home. You were kind of crazy. Seriously. You were so stubborn even as a newborn. It was always your way or the highway. You prompted our pastor and his wife at the time to come to our house to teach our parents the Dr. Dobson series on tough love and they lingered on the lesson of the strong-willed child for your sake.

I think mom and dad knew at that moment that they were in for quite a ride. They would say with pride, she's our strong-willed one. Ha ha ha. I was the "second mom", Peter was the bleeding heart, david was the baby (was is not the right word... he's still the baby! at 23!), but you, you were the strong-willed one with steel in your eyes, iron in your feet and a set jaw.
Now I can honestly say that 25 years later, some things never change. You still get that crazy look in your face when you are getting into mischief and when it comes to the things that matter to you, you are as strong-willed as ever.

I know sometimes (a lot of times) we clash and fight and argue and turn into grumps because we are truly night and day when it comes to our whole human makeup.... but honestly... you are truly the best you that you can possibly be, and I wouldn't trade you or try to change you for anything or anyone! I am very proud of the woman you've become... I am very blessed to have an extraordinarily talented, accomplished and beautiful sister who is also my confidante and best friend.

So happy Quarter of a Century dear Deborah..... may the next 25 years be as much a blast as the first....

An Ode to Deb
There once was a girl named Deb
No follower, she's always led
She loves France and high heels
Colin Firth makes her squeal
She loves reading while snuggled in bed!


Lots of love,
Q.Cat

4 comments:

The Daily Bee said...

Aw! *sniff* That brought tears to me eyes, lass. =)

Thank you!

Becky said...

Awww, what a sweet tribute to your sis!

LOVE the ode to Deb, lol!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Deb........Cat that was so sweet it brought tears to my eyes as well :)

Love Ya,

The Rowell Family

Purely Sony said...

Awww...Cathy that was really sweet. I liked your ode to Deb..lol (the other one) lol ;-)