Friday, March 02, 2007

Take a Ride on the Reading Railroad...




Something happens to me when I read a book.

Noise, commotion, circumstance, location... everything around me disappears.


From the time I was a baby I have loved books. My mom used to read to me every single night. My favorite book of all was Cinderella. I knew it by heart and if my mother was tired that night and tried to skip pages, I knew immediately, even though I could not read yet, and I would make her go back and re-read the skipped parts.

I loved the books like - Suzy the Mouse, The Princess Who Never Laughed, Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby, Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever, and any and every Walt Disney Productions Presents book that I received from the book club. There are several that I remember loving, but can not remember the title of. Those books bring back so many warm and secure emotions. When I see a book or bookcover from my childhood, it makes me long for those days when my whole life was between those pages...

As I grew older, and I finally learned to read and comprehend on my own, I became an avid reader. Summers were spent laying across my bed consuming 2, 3 and sometimes even 4 books in one day!

One of these days when I have time, I'm going to compile a list of books that I have loved throughout my lifetime.


I still love to read. I love where books take me. It's a journey each time I turn those pages. I could be sitting in sweltering heat and be shivering cold if the story takes me to snow storms, torrential rain or a crisp clear autumn night.


A friend of mine has told me that when she finishes a book, she has to "mourn" the ending of the characters before she can start a new book. She is so right. I always want to hurry to the good parts and then I prolong the ending and read slower, because I don't want the book to end.



I feel sorry for people who never read...
They have no idea what they are missing!

Queen Catherella

No comments: