Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Down Holiday Memory Lane




It was December - I was 15 and working at Toys R Us. I was in 10th grade and felt like I had finally arrived at my maturity peak. (hilarious).


I had lost weight, got colored contacts the summer before and has several boys from school interested in me (which up to that point was just an impossible dream.) I was "in love" with one of the seniors, Jeff Hunter. I thought he was just to die for. ha ha ha. Looking back, I see how he humored me and made me feel special with his meaningless flirting.

Ahhh to be 15 again. On second thought, looking back, I wouldn't want to do it all again.

Anyways, I was a cashier at Toys R Us and surrounded by adults and college kids working the busy holiday season. I was all dressed up that day because after work, my parents were picking me up to go to my aunt's christmas party. She always threw the most lavish parties during Christmas and I always looked forward to them because all the older cousins would gather together and sneak wine coolers from the bar. I know. I can't believe we never got caught.

This particular party was one I was looking forward to, because there was a guy, who was about 4 years older than me, that was going to be there who I thought was cute. So fickle at 15. So much for my "maturity" plateau. I was in a nosedive down that mountain!

So, I remember the drive there (it was all the way in Vista, CA) and I remember my gramps drinking until he got that Irish brogue that made him seem like a leprechaun, but I don't remember much of the party after that.

The one memory that stands out the most is when we were leaving. I was saying goodbye to everyone, stalling, because I didn't see this guy anywhere and I wanted to say goodbye. All of a sudden someone hugs me from behind and I glanced up and it was that guy. Swoon. I saw his lips coming toward me and I stuck out my cheek, just anticipating his kiss.

Then his lips came down on mine.

The feeling I felt at that time was literally like I was floating. I don't remember leaving the party, the long drive home, the next week. In fact, I don't even remember Christmas that year.

But that one small insignificant kiss by this insignificant guy made a lasting impression on a self-esteem challenged 15 year old that Christmas.

Now I look back and think about him and think, Oh Gross. ha ha ha.

But the memory will remain a sweet one to me, just because being 15 and having a boy you like kiss you is every girl's wish.

Where's the mistletoe, I need another sweet memory to get me through the next 15 years!

Queen Cat

No comments: